How can you encourage your children to eat healthy and sustainably? By cooking together with locally sourced fruits and vegetables, to introduce them to the flavors of fresh and seasonal produce and make them involved in creating your dishes.
Preparing tasty recipes using local fruits and vegetables is an excellent opportunity to spend quality time with your family, educating your kids about the values of sustainability and healthy eating.
In this article, we will discover three easy and delicious recipes to make together with your children, using seasonal and home-grown produce.
1) Mini-pizza with seasonal vegetables
A simple and fun recipe to make with your children is the mini-pizza with seasonal vegetables. This dish allows you to use seasonal produce and help your kids appreciate the taste of fresh and local vegetables.
Ingredients:- Ready-made pizza dough
- Tomato sauce
- Seasonal vegetables (for spring, artichokes, green beans, chard, fennel, and asparagus are great choices)
- Mozzarella cheese
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (392°F).
2. Wash and thinly slice the seasonal vegetables.
3. Roll out the pizza dough and cut out circles using a cookie cutter or a glass.
2) Rainbow fruit salad
The rainbow fruit salad is a colorful and fun way to introduce your kids to the variety of flavors and benefits offered by local fruits.
- Seasonal fruits of various colors (for example, strawberries, oranges, kiwis, apples)
- Lemon juice
- Honey or maple syrup (optional)
1. Wash and cut the fruits into bite-sized pieces.
2. In a large bowl, mix the fruits together.
3. Sprinkle some lemon juice over the fruits to prevent them from oxidizing.
4. If desired, add a little natural sweetener like honey or maple syrup.
5. Gently toss and serve in individual bowls.
3) Green smoothie with home-grown vegetables
A green smoothie is an excellent recipe to introduce your kids to the benefits of fresh and home-grown vegetables. This smoothie is packed with vitamins and minerals, perfect for a healthy snack or a nourishing breakfast.
- 1 apple, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup of fresh spinach or other leafy greens (such as lettuce, kale)
- 1 cup of almond milk or other plant-based milk
- 1 tablespoon of honey or maple syrup (optional)
1. Thoroughly wash the leafy greens.
2. Put all the ingredients in a blender.
3. Blend until smooth and creamy.
4. Pour the smoothie into glasses and serve immediately.
From the garden to your plate: a world of colors on your balcony
Even before entering the kitchen, you can introduce your kids to the colorful world of fruits and vegetables by cultivating a small garden on your balcony. You really don't need much space to grow some fruit and vegetable plants, such as strawberries or various types of salad, bringing truly tasty and healthy local products to your table every day, without relying entirely on supermarkets.
To learn more, read our article "Small Garden on the Balcony: Tools and Useful Tips".
Cultivating a home garden will entice your little ones to eat what they have seen grow before wanting to cook them, as well as strengthen their positive thoughts about vegetables, appreciating different flavors and aromas.
Preparing these recipes together with your children is an excellent opportunity to spend quality family time while teaching them the importance of eating healthy and sustainably. You can grow fruits and vegetables at home and use them in the recipes to strengthen their connection with nature and educate them about the values of sustainability.
Have fun experimenting in the kitchen with your kids and start creating delicious and colorful dishes today with fresh, seasonal, and local produce.
We hope to have inspired you!